MVPindex, Inc. is the first Social Media Index for Sports and Entertainment. We have a created a deep data company that ranks, measures, and values social content from sports, celebrities, and brands in near real-time. We’re building the next version of our data and analytics platform with more powerful data visualization, machine learning, and intelligent filtering for our clients who include top professional sports franchises, global media, and Fortune 500 brands. In 2018, MVPindex merged with Umbel.
The Backend Developer Role is based in downtown Dallas, TX and is a full-time position focused on improving our data acquisition and management platform tracking several hundred million social activities across tens of thousands of entities. The developer will work with a small, highly focused, and collaborative team to build tools and systems to enhance our core data platforms and provide unique insights for customers and stakeholders.
This role requires an advanced skill set across a variety of technologies. The individual will often have to learn independently and remain on the cusp of new technologies in the big data and analytics space.
What You Must Do To Be Successful In This Position:
- The day-to-day work will be mostly focused on writing code that deals with:
- RESTful API endpoints that talk to data stores such as MySQL, Elasticsearch, and Pilosa
- High-volume data ingestion from various social networks
- Ensuring integrity and accuracy of ingested data
- Optimizing data access and aggregation performance
- As a self-starter with excellent time-management skills, you'll be able to work independently with minimal supervision to deliver high-quality, maintainable code and unit, integration, and/or end-to-end tests where appropriate.
Our Stack You Should Have Experience With:
- ES2017 (via Babel), Node.js, Hapi
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Pilosa, Kafka
- Git, Docker, AWS, nginx
What Skills & Experience We'd Like You To Have:
- Extremely detail oriented
- 4+ years building web applications and a strong understanding of the HTTP lifecycle
- Knowledge of functional programming patterns (or OOP with a desire to move to FP)
- Understanding of working with data at scale and de-coupled/fault-tolerant architectures
- Experience with relational databases
- Excellent RESTful API development skills
- Version control and continuous integration (e.g. Git, Docker)
- Writing and maintaining automated tests
- Comfortable working in a Mac or Unix environment
- Devops experience, especially with AWS
- Database administration experience
- History of open source contributions / an active GitHub account
- Knowledge of social network APIs
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent