Umbel is looking for an exceptional Software Engineer to join our team and help build the backend of our core product, as well as participate in the architecture and development of new-from-the-ground-up products.
Using a host of modern platforms and technologies, we move and manage a substantial scale and variety of data. You will be involved in building complex, fully distributed ETL pipelines, writing systems that manage data at substantial scale, building tools and features to support cutting edge analytics, and designing projects for long-term reasonability, scale, and extensibility
What is Umbel?
Umbel is a high-energy, fast-growing startup based in Austin, Texas. We empower some of the most progressive names in sports, media and entertainment to securely collect first-party customer data and combine it with existing data from multiple sources for a complete view of their customers and fans. These insights fuel fuel ticket sales, sponsorship, fan engagement and more.
What You Must Have
- Ambition and optimism, offset with realism. We are an ambitious startup with big goals. We take big chances and know that optimism and perseverance are the keys to wild success — and we are tested on that daily. If this excites you, great. If uncertainty is uncomfortable, this might not be the right place for you.
- Curiosity backed by execution. This is a tech startup, and you should be prepared to geek out on the intricacies of big data. There’s a lot to learn and define, and you will naturally need to be obsessed with staying ahead of the curve. But it doesn’t stop there. You must leverage that learning and turn it into creating amazing experiences both inside and outside of Umbel.
- Motivation and determination. Exciting — and daunting — challenges face us every day at Umbel. We excel in the pursuit of challenging goals. Umbel is looking for fighters, who go to bed and wake up each day with a fire in the belly.
What You Must Do To Be Successful In This Position
- Apply deep knowledge of the fundamentals of Software Engineering to write robust, maintainable, efficient code that powers the Umbel product
- Several years of experience working with fault-tolerant, resilient, highly-available distributed systems
- 5+ years of experience building Web Applications and Software-as-a-Service Platforms
- Good foundation in algorithms and data models and the ability to apply those principles to real-world software problems
- Strong experience working with relational databases and an understanding of the trade-offs involved in interacting with SQL systems
- A demonstrated history of working with different technologies and a capacity to grown and learn difficult things continually
- Exceptional communication is a must
What Skills & Experience We’d Like You To Have
- Deep knowledge of Python and Django
- A strong background building data-intensive applications; designing and building ETL frameworks especially
- Experience with RabbitMQ and Celery is a big plus
- 2+ years of experience working with NoSQL data stores, ideally Cassandra and ElasticSearch
- We use Docker quite a bit. If you do too, that's going help
- The more you understanding AWS and cloud-based software engineering practices, the better
What You Will Get Out Of It
- A team of talented, hard-working colleagues
- The opportunity to invent new solutions, grow your career and enhance your skill set
- 100% employer-paid health insurance premiums (medical, dental & vision)
- Unlimited paid vacation policy
- Competitive compensation (including stock options)
- The ability to learn and grow from technology innovators and disruptors
- An incredible office location in downtown Austin with on-site parking included